I hope you’re having a lovely week thus far 🙂 Mine has been great, seeing as I am gearing up to make this delicious meal again this weekend! (Cover photo and recipe courtesy of Paleo Newbie). If any of you are interested in eating paleo…seriously check her out. Everything I have ever made of hers I have just LOVED.
For this quick mid-week post, I made a few adjustments to her version of these delicious paleo nachos to make them more of what I knew I would like but I mainly just followed the recipe she gave (recipe below). Anything in parenthesis are the changes that I made to her original recipe 🙂 And as you can see, there aren’t many, so ENJOY!
Paleo Chicken Skillet Nachos with Avocado Sauce (AKA Heaven In A Pan)
- 2 cups pre-cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounce can of green chilies -OR- fresh chili peppers (I didn’t use anything like this–I can’t do anything too spicy but I’m sure they are an awesome addition!)
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp of your favorite Taco Seasoning Mix (I used her taco seasoning below)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potato chips (I made the ones linked in the ‘directions’ section!–and they were SO good! But you will have to allot a little more time for that step.)
- 1/2 cup pre-made pico de gallo ( I just used salsa)
- 1/4 cup black olives, drained and sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional Garnish: 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
CREAMY AVOCADO SAUCE (TO DRIZZLE!)
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and flesh spooned out
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 seeded jalapeño
- 1/4 cup paleo mayo (I just used the mayo I had in my fridge)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic, lightly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
OPTIONAL HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Make your own sweet potato chips with this recipe, or purchase similar.
- Next make the Avocado Sauce above – simply blend all the ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shredded chicken, green chilis, and taco seasoning and stir.
- Next add the 1-1/2 Tbsp tomato paste and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until chicken is warmed through.
- Add chips to skillet along with the pico, olives and fresh cilantro sprinkled over. Top with the avocado sauce (if you aren’t paleo I think you could totally benefit from adding a little cheese to these at this point, too. I didn’t, obviously, but my sister suggested that even though you don’t really miss the cheese, it could still add something to the nachos, so take that as you will!)
And voila! You now have a beautiful and delicious (and fairly quick) meal to enjoy. Even if you don’t eat paleo, I would highly recommend making this whenever you’re looking to switch up your typical nacho night, they seriously are so dang good! And not to mention, actually pretty good for you, too.
Also go check out more of PaleoNewbie’s recipes because y’all, she knows what’s up.