I hope you’re having a great Tuesday!
Because I posted so late this past weekend I feel like I’m still a little behind, which is why this post is coming to you, late again–I’m sorry! I should get back to my normal schedule this weekend; just in time for the holidays!
I’m really excited to share this post with you today, this is one of my all time favorite go-to’s when it comes to quick/easy/delicious lunch meals. I got the idea for this bowl when I went to North Carolina my Junior year of college, we went to this little food truck shop every day that I was there that just customized in “bowl” foods (aka basically just a whole meal thrown together in one bowl). And from there I was hooked….I make this meal (or something similar) for lunch 3x a week, I’d say.
When I began this post I wrote out a little reminder sentence to remind me what this post was going to be focusing on and I feel like for you all to really understand my passion & excitement for this recipe I’m going to leave it in here, just for fun:
OMG I LOVE FOOD. AND THINGS IN BOWLS MAKE ME SO HAPPY.
And with that, let’s get started! Haha.
(Almost) Paleo Power Bowl
- 1/2 c. Quinoa or Rice
- 1 c. Water
- Olive Oil (or your choice of cooking oil)
- 1 Sweet Potato, peeled & chopped into chunks
- 1 Chicken Breast, precooked, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. Cooked Spinach
- 1 medium Avocado, halved
- 1 Hard-Boiled Egg, halved
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil mixed with a few drops of Coconut Aminos (or normal Aminos, if your body does okay with the soy!)
- Salt & Pepper
- Begin by taking your sweet potato chunks, lathering them in some olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, and cooking them in the oven on 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- As your sweet potatoes cook, add water and quinoa or rice to a medium sized pan, over warm heat on the stove.
- Cook until there is no water left in the pan and the rice/quinoa is cooked thoroughly (takes about 15-18 minutes over medium heat). Let sit, over no heat for 5 minutes before dishing up.
- After the 5 minutes, scoop up enough quinoa/rice to cover the base of your bowl (or more…I won’t judge).
- Now for the fun part! Top your grains with a generous scoop of your cooked sweet potato, precooked chicken, precooked spinach, 1/2 avocado, and hard boiled egg.*
- Top your bowl off with some olive oil & Coconut Aminos (or any other dressing you have lying around–oil-based vinaigrette are usually the best options here) and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Grab a seat in front of the fire or TV and CHOW DOWN.
*Feel free to get creative with this step…anything else sound yummy to add to this bowl? Go for it! That’s the joy of making “bowl” recipes, you really can just throw anything and everything in it and 99% of the time, it’s going to be great! I would just recommend sticking with veggies and meats as your additions.
As you can see for the version I made in the cover photo here (and in the photo below), it’s almost more of a stir-fry type meal, which works just as well for this kind of thing. There are SO many ways to make this meal, so many different meat and veggie combos that I’m sure would be amazing, which is why I always have so much fun with this recipe!
And I hope that you do, too!
I have been trying to eat more paleo, so I have experimented a lot with different bases for this dish and I just want to mention, that if you want to make this entirely paleo, just make up some cauliflower rice or put all these toppings on a bed of kale and the result will be just as easy and delicious!