We are just rocking and rolling our way through February, aren’t we?
I’m always excited to do all the fun February things (the Superbowl, celebrate my freedom from my eating disorder, Valentine’s Day, the only 28 days!) and then get into the longer days and restore my happiness as we move into the warmer months again!
However, before we make it there, we still have a good chunk of the month left to live…so let’s get to this post and get that ball rolling why don’t we!
Today I wanted to chat with you a little bit about a few ways in which you (and I!) can spend our upcoming holiday by helping others, rather than just benefiting ourselves. I think we so often are interested, especially with holidays, in what we can get and what we’re going to gain from the experiences we have…which isn’t inherently bad (don’t think that’s what I’m saying!) I just think it’s important to often remind ourselves that we aren’t the sole being that makes the world go ’round. In the day-to-day, it can be very easy to start believing that because we’re so concerned with what am I going to eat, what do I have to do today, how is this going to affect me, etc.
With that in mind, I just think that nothing is better during these times of hardship in our world than to remind people that we are all God’s people and I think we should take the opportunity to remind everyone of that this February 14. Seeing as God is love, we literally have the entire embodiment of love living inside of us and honestly, what better way to show people that, than to love on them with our service to them on a day where they may feel like the world has forgotten about them? Many individuals whom may have never felt true love in action before….the impact this can have on them is huge, which is why I wanted to put together this list of 5 ways we can spend our Valentine’s Day’s by giving back to our community this year:
- Sign up with End Slavery TN’s No Show Ball! I heard about this fundraiser the other day while job searching, actually, and absolutely loved the idea! Basically, instead of you and your significant other going out and spending money on having a fancy meal….you can pay just about the same amount and get a fancy meal delivered to you (you choose from 5 different dinner options at varying prices!); all while helping the sweet men and women that rely on End Slavery TN, for safety and security while transitioning out of the sex trafficking ring.
- Spend your evening together volunteering at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter. You really can never have a bad night when you’re serving others, plus if you’re anything like me, that’ll just make you adore your sweetie even more. *Swoon*
- Bake up a couple batches of cookies and drop them off at your local fire department/police department/library for anyone who has to work instead of be with their family on Valentine’s night.
- Babysit for a friend who has kids, or offer to babysit a younger brother or sister, so your friends/parents can have a date night. Plus, you and your boo thang get to spend the evening hanging with little cuties! How fun is that?!
- Go to your local grocery store, or flower shop, and pick out a few bouquets of flowers; then head down to your local nursing home and hand out flowers (and a bunch of hugs) to all of the residents!
Alright sweet friends, that’s it for today.
Do any of these ideas sound fun for you this V-Day?!*
Let me know your favorite in the comments below! Or let me know some of the other fun ideas you have for giving back this month!
*If none of these ideas got you excited about what to plan for your festivities, feel free to check out my Valentine’s post from last year and pick your favorite activity from that list instead! There really is something fun out there for everyone…so don’t lose heart!